Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Words of Wisdom


I've been studying 1 Samuel. When I study scripture, I like to make note of what I call a "stand out" verse. If I'm seriously meditating on what I've read, the Holy Spirit will draw me to a verse that really stand out, that speaks right to my soul. There's no mistaking when He's involved, because that verse sticks with me and I find myself meditating on it even when I'm working or involved in something not particularly spiritual.

The stand out verse for me right now is 1 Samuel 3: 19:
"The LORD was with Samuel as he grew up, and he let none of his words fall to the ground."

The Lord kept Samuel's words from being useless. He was with Samuel and He caused Samuel's words to be fruitful; to accomplish His purposes.

Oh, to be like Samuel! To be so close to God, so intune with Him, so obedient, that He would let none of my words fall to the ground. I want my words -- especially those that speak of Him -- to mean something and not be just idle words that fall by the wayside. The Lord gives wisdom and understanding, and will cause my words to be meaningful and true if I am surrendered to Him. If He has First Place.
Lord, make it so.

Image from Heartlight.org




No comments: